Rambling Prose...

Rambling Prose...
.Let's take a walk together.....

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

WHAT DO I BELIEVE NOW.... Post #2

This is my 2nd post in the current series....What Do I Believe Now.  Please read my first post (August 4, 2012) for background on this subject.

Today, I'm writing on the importance of having a Purpose in life.  When I refer to a Purpose, I'm not talking just about a goal, or an ambition, or a plan.   It's much more.  



The Japanese call it Ikigai (eek-y-guy), which means a "Reason for Being," or it is also defined as "the reason for which you wake up in the morning."  I like both of these definitions.  Everyone, according to the Japanese, has an Ikigai.  Finding it requires a deep and often lengthy search of self.  Such a search is regarded as being very important, since it is believed that discovery of one's Ikigai brings satisfaction and real meaning to life.  Further, people with a strong sense of purpose have boosted immune systems, lower stress hormones, and are better able to deal with the difficulties that life throws their way.  ( I can "get behind that!")










 We all have probably had a number of  "purposes" down through the years.  I would suggest that they were more correctly goals and ambitions.  If you were like me, I was too busy working, raising a family, and trying to stay ahead economically, to give much serious thought to my Purpose.  I had no idea what my "reason for being" looked like, and the "reason I woke up in the morning", was to do what I had been doing all the other mornings...commuting to work, doing my 9-5, being with my family, watching TV, putting kids to bed, and getting ready to do it all over again in the morning. (Sounds awful...but I'm engaging in hyperbole!" My life in general was fine.)

But I digress...back to a Purpose in Life.  Excuse my taking some personal literary license by writing about my Ikigai.  (Perhaps my experience will help those of you who are on this path to discover "your Purpose."  It helps me to write it down, and "chew" on it some more.)

It all started with my Midlife crisis back in 1980 or so.  My mother died, and only a few years later my father passed.  (Only the good die young).  My first marriage ended in divorce, I discovered Religious Science, and my only outlet seemed to be my running. (lot's of 10 K's, and a few marathons).  What a metaphor....running away from my past life!  
However,  after I met Paula... my wife and soul mate... we began to create a new life together.

That's when I first really starting thinking....what the hell is my purpose in this life?  
I have given it some serious thought, especially during the past 10 years.  Life had taught me some very important lessons.  Money wouldn't bring me happiness; I really didn't need a new car every 4 years;  Wearing Wranglers everyday was just fine;  Eating less food was good for me;  My relationships... with Paula, my family and my friends...were the most important part of my life; and the simple life was a better life... at least for me!  


At this point in my life, I've decided on my Purpose, which is always subject to Change. (Of course...)   While it is somewhat inexact, it still is meaningful to me.  I discovered this concept while reading a biography on Robert F. Kennedy...who is one of my political heroes. His quote:  "THE PURPOSE OF LIFE IS TO CONTRIBUTE...IN SOME WAY...TO MAKING THINGS BETTER!"  
My intention is to contribute, and make "things" better.  I'm now in the process of coming up with the "some way!" (Which has become quite a challenge..but I'm actively working on it!)  What I like about this "Purpose"is its inherent flexibility in allowing me to create without limitations, within the positive context of "making things better!"  (I believe I can really get my head around this.)

So...you have heard about my plans...I hope to hear from many of you in the coming weeks.  All your comments are encouraged.
 



Let's start a conversation....


No comments:

Post a Comment